My 1974 Autostick Beetle. 1974 is a great year because it is the NEWEST bug that is smog exempt in all 50 states! Needing a backup car for when my 1967 mustang fastback was up on blocks with no powertrain, I researched to find the best smog-friendly year of Beetle. (You can see the benefits of this year on this page below the pictures.) Now I’ve got my mustang and my folks old 1987 E-150 cargo van. Those two cars meet my needs (along with the family project 1989 mustang drag car) which is why I would like to sell this car. Original radio still installed, with the addition of a Sony cd changer-capable controller head unit installed below the glove box (no cd changer) and a pair of decent 6x9” in boxes in the back. Thats the only modificaiton I have spotted. The interior is complete (-sun visors) and all stock-appearing, with a good headliner. This is a rust free car, with small detail areas on the exterior excepted: NO internal rust. This is common cosmetic rust which is easily repaired. The battery tray area was very good and whole with little rust, but I had it specially coated anti-rust 'hammered enamel' paint. Shifts and drives excellent; a definite daily driver and the Autostick makes rush hour type stop and go driving much less torturous. It has a good coat of red paint, however the clear-coat is peeling off. The engine has no modifications, just complete with stock pieces, such as a new alternator. Since this is my back up car, I have kept up on the maintaince; valve lash adjustments, fluid changes and ignition. After the below pictures I have listed some of the areas of improvement the factory added to the Beetle from around '72 up to '74 such as why this car never gets overheated;
· Dual port 1600 engine.
· Three part induction manifold.
· New larger oil cooler mounted ‘doghouse' style and venting to
atmosphere - gives better cooling to No 3 cylinder.
· Bigger capacity (wider) cooling fan.
· Bigger front brakes (drum brake models).
· Larger oil pump.
· Engine lid gets 4 sets of air slots.
· Wheels change from 5.6x15 to 6.0x15 in late 72.
· 600 watt (50 amp) alternator replaces generator in mid year.
· Improved intake pre-heating for faster cold weather warm-up.
· Engine case near No3/flywheel is reinforced to prevent cracking.
· New fuel pump (with cut-off valve) to clear alternator.
· Paper air filter.
· New ‘lifetime lubricated' front and rear wheel bearings.
· Larger curved windscreen and smaller front lid to
· New interior light assembly.
· Stronger bumpers.
· Redesigned fresh air system.